Come early November, if it's not the Coca Cola advert on television that marks the start of the holiday season, it's surely the Chocolate Advent calendar - or is it?
Used to count down the days in anticipation of Christmas, advent calendars historically took the form of a large rectangular card with "windows": one for each day of December leading up to Christmas Eve. These "windows" were once used to reveal biblical messages and then moved on to a tasty little chocolate morsels concealed behind a numbered window.
What is clear for Christmas 2014 is that marketers have very creatively evolved the long loved chocolate advent calendar into an alternative treats - and hooray for the personal choice they offer.
Here are 5 of my Christmas Advent calendar favourite finds:
1. Ranking in at number one - the Ginvent Calendar.
2. If you are not into chocolate or gin - how about a cheeky Christmas beer tree?
3. Liberty of course offer what is the Rolls Royce of advent calendars.
4. The Benefit advent calendar with a 'candy-coated countdown'
5. And finally, dubbed the advent 'lust-have' with a selection of luxurious makeup and skin care products.
This 'home-made' Corona calendar did made me laugh!
Some great references and more information: